Sunday, June 5, 2011

Spirituality and Bipolar

"I don't think I'm romanticizing my bipolar disorder in saying that my real faith, the engine that propels me to love better and be better, was born during my severely ill days, that my mood disorder has been a helping hand in teaching me what I'm made of."
Therese Borchard

"I would hope that those with a strong faith will consider how God or their higher power has blessed people with the intelligence and tools to address the chemical imbalances that occur naturally within the human population. After all, those of faith are certain that God wants people to help each other, to pull their brethren from misery and to show them the glories of the world he intended."
Unknown


Today I went to church for the first time in, well, probably 15-20 months. I am a spiritual person. I believe in God. I believe Jesus died for my sins. I love going to church. I didn't go for so long because I was depressed and isolating myself from everyone who loved me. Today was amazing. I got up at 6:30, bathed the child, ate some yogurt, and waited to go to church. I was at church from 8:20am until 1:00pm. I love the music, the message, the socialization, and comradeship. 

I've experienced a lot of trauma in my life yet as I am right now, I love God so much. These challenges with bipolar disorder have brought me to my breaking point, but I wont give up on my God.

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life" 
John 3:16

"I cry aloud to the Lord; I lift up my voice to the Lord for mercy. I pour out my complaint before Him; Before Him I tell my trouble. When my spirit grows faint within me, it is You who knows my way."
Psalm 142:1-3 

It is hard to maintain my faith, but when I grow weary I know He is there. I know it's hard, those of you who cope with bipolar, or depression and anxiety. Believe me, I get it. Sometimes there's a lot of anger in our hearts, in my heart. It can be very overwhelming. In the past I didn't hesitate to express my anger physically, even sometimes to other people, or more sadly, my own self. I wish I never felt angry, but I do and today I've learned to cope and the best way for me to cope with my anger and sadness is with prayer.

"Please God, guide me to a state of peace." You'd be surprised how calming prayer can be if you've never tried it.

I know my thoughts on religion and how it can affect your mental health, or vise versa, is a little scattered. I'm not an expert. I can only talk about my personal experiences and hope that it helps the people who read these words. But I can say without a doubt I get more from God than any man. And the church gives me a community that cares about me, cries with me, prays with me, and helps me with everything from babysitting to meals. I know when I need anything there's a lot of people who are ready and willing to help. As a person who suffers from mental health issues I can safely say that my support system gets me through, and I believe God gave these people to me.

While I was hospitalized for my mental breakdown these wonderful people visited me daily. They talked to me, prayed with me, loved me.... I love these people so very much and it's this love that urges me to try and convnice you, as someone who deals with bipolar disorder, depression, anxiety, the whole lot, to open your hearts to God. Seek a community of people that love you, not just because the bible tells them they must, but because that's who they are and what they do.

"Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food and there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior."
Habakkuk 3:17-18

"By this the love of God was manifested in us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world so that we might live through Him. In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has beheld God at any time; if we love one another, God abides in us, and His love is perfected in us."
1 John 4:9-12

""I love those who love me; And those who diligently seek me will find me."
Proverbs 8:17

"He that endureth to the end shall be saved."
Matthew 10:22

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my !!! This is so honest, raw, and brings tears to my eyes...
    I have lost someone I love very my who is bp...and I miss and pray for them daily. If only that person could know the depths of God's love for them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Without God I would have no hope. I can't imagine trying to make sense of it all without Him. Thanks for your authenticity!

    ReplyDelete