Sunday, June 19, 2011

Exercise & Mental Health

I've been putting a lot of effort into being intentional about exercise lately. I really want to loose weight and live a healthier lifestyle. I've noticed some things though.

Yesterday I pushed a stroller 8 blocks up then 8 blocks back. On the way to the Kwik Shop I reminded myself that if I just kept pushing I'd get some really great Gatorade when I got there, but damn it was hard. I was thinking to myself that with all the hills it was like walking uphill both ways. Yet, I persevered. I made it all the way there, got my Gatorade, and made it all the way home. And you know what? It didn't just satisfy my self esteem, it made me feel good in general. I even slept better.
There is a lot of speculation on how exercise effects our mental health. Some suggest that " research literature suggests that for many variables there is now ample evidence that a definite relationship exists between exercise and improved mental health." (http://www.fitness.gov/mentalhealth.htm) It improved my mood so much to have accomplished a work out that I wondered if working out released endorphins. My suspicions were confirmed. 

"When you exercise, your body releases chemicals called endorphins. These endorphins interact with the receptors in your brain that reduce your perception of pain.

Endorphins also trigger a positive feeling in the body, similar to that of morphine. For example, the feeling that follows a run or workout is often described as "euphoric." That feeling, known as a "runner's high," can be accompanied by a positive and energizing outlook on life." (http://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/exercise-depression)

I guess what I'm getting at here is that if you struggle with depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, exercise may be a great thing to throw yourself into for even more reasons than originally expected :) Also, if you ever want a buddy I'd love to work out with you. I need the motivation :)

1 comment:

  1. Exercise is a magical elixir that works for me !!!
    Thank you for posting !

    ReplyDelete